Although security screen doors and windows are generally built to last, giving them a routine clean-up can help you get the most out of them. While cleaning a door sounds unnecessary, it can be a quick and easy task that will help your security door and window look good as new. Here is a quick 4 step tutorial on how to clean your security door at home.
How frequently should I clean my security door?
Depending on your environment, the frequency of your door maintenance can vary. If you’re residing near the seaside, it is recommended to give them a clean once every other week. The salt in the air can accelerate corrosion and damage the appearance and functionality of your door.
If you are living in rural areas it is recommended to clean them twice a year, for urban areas quarterly, and for seaside and industrial areas do them a couple of times a month.
- Soft Bristle
- Stiff Bristle
- Soapy Water
- Small Handy Blower
- Microfiber Cloth
1) Clean with Soap
Dip your stiff bristle brush into the soapy water and give your screen a good scrub. Make sure to use a mild detergent and some warm water to loosen any stuck dirt without damaging your door’s paint job.
2) Blow Away Dust
Next is to take your handy air blower and blow away any dist and soap off the door.
3) Polish the Security Door Mesh
Take the soft bristle brush and a small microfiber cloth. Wrap the cloth around the brush and give your door another clean polish.
4) Wipe and Dry
Using a dry microfibre cloth, dry your security door.
Cleaning window screens
You can apply the precious steps to clean your window screens as well. Since they are detachable you won’t make as big of a mess. Here are just some basic tips when dealing with your security window screen.
- It is best to vacuum the window screen first to remove any dust or dirt. To clean the screen, use a lint roller or a soft cloth. The lint roller helps remove loose dirt and pollen.
- You can also use a wet microfiber cloth if it is necessary.
- If you feel that the screen is not pliable enough, you can skip the scrubbing step and simply spray it down with water.
- Spray the cleaning solution on both sides and the front of the screen.
- Scrub the screens gently, using a soft brush. Be careful not to scrub too hard, though, as excessive scrubbing can damage the screen.
And that’s it! 4 easy-to-follow cleaning hacks for you. Now you have a clean security door screen to get you more light through in winter! If you’re after any more handy at-home tips, then check out Jim’s How-to channel on Youtube.